Forum   |  Links  |  Contact Us
Topic Options
#969 - January 01, 2009 03:14 PM Speaking of faith
chimera Offline

Loc: Australia
My inquiry is about how people speak. There are 2 possible expressions: "Indra pilayati/ pilivati". "Dhur angan".
Is it normal for people to say that "Indra sends" rain /rivers? If Ganges dhur water is kept within an angan house, could it be a "Ganges house"? Or may there be other possible ideas in the 2 expressions?

#970 - January 05, 2009 11:36 AM Re: Speaking of faith
Pathmarajah Offline

Loc: Penang
Hi Chimera,

It is normal in our culture to attribute all natural events to a god. It is a cultured manner of speaking and it shapes our worldview, that we are not alone, that the world is filled with divine beings, and that being of all the world interacts with one another for the benefit of all.

I hope I understood your enquiry.

#971 - January 05, 2009 03:16 PM Re: Speaking of faith
chimera Offline

Thank you. I was thinking of specific words in verbal, not written , speech. The expressions probably came from Indonesia, but when I asked there, that forum did not reply, possibly because my question is about Hindu faith.
Indonesian pilu means "moved, affected, sympathetic", and pilek is "running nose from a head-cold". Would it be an appropriate choice of words to say "Indra pil-" to mean "running water (river)"?
The word "diri" has the same meaning in Malay and Indonesian /Balinese.
Angen means "thinking", in Pali "whole person. my interests", Skt. "bodily".
Diri angotta "personal account/ voting" is an Indonesian term. Would "diri angen" be a normal choice of words?
The reason for this strange question is the words "Indooroopilly" and "Dirrangen". I would like to know if they are likely to have come from Indonesia.

#972 - January 08, 2009 10:30 AM Re: Speaking of faith
chimera Offline

The Hindu Conference in Sydney, April 11-12, has invited me to read a paper on this topic.
"Indra pil-" is similar to "ye vishre maruto junanti" RV 5.58.3. If Maruts "impel" falling rain, then "pil" is a suitable word.
"For Indra, flow on ,Indu".
Indra sends floods RV 1.57.
Indrajuta, Indrasita, Indrota.
So at least half of Australia was within the Hindu faith.

#973 - January 12, 2009 11:24 AM Re: Speaking of faith
Pathmarajah Offline

Loc: Penang
Hi Chimera,

You could get better answers from here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/akandabaratam/messages

There are a number of linguistic and Hindu scholars who are familiar with southeastasia.

Pathma

#974 - January 17, 2009 02:53 AM Re: Speaking of faith
chimera Offline

Thanks for that,I have some replies there.
In Malaysia, Gerbang Meru Indah is a housing development, and it seems to mean "beautiful Meru". Is there more behind the name, such as historic concepts or implications?

Moderator:  Dhanika, Pathmarajah, Vadi, webmaster